Background

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Benny...Benny the Jet


Let me just begin by saying Happy 1st Birthday Kitty. Kitty (gray and white pictured above) is our only cat. She just turned one today. She decided to get pregnant and had kittens last Thursday. She had 3 very tiny kittens that were just a smidge premature. They ended up dying the next day. Needless to say, Abrah was a little upset. But, in the words of Caleb..."teenage pregnancies never turn out well". Thank you for the insight Caleb. :)
Where did this little kitty come from you might ask? Well, some Momma cat decided to have her babies in the ethanol plant. She must have been a teenager too b/c that is a pretty dangerous and toxic place to have kittens. Needless to say, they found the rest of them dead, but this one somehow managed to stay alive. The Momma cat is wild, so they couldn't catch them both. Josh decided to bring this one home. I am estimating (by the weight and googles help) that it is somewhere around 3-4 weeks old. I am bottle feeding it since Kitty's milk (I think) has already dried up. He tries and tries to nurse, but I just don't know if he gets anything, but Kitty lets it and licks it like crazy.
So, now for the name. Riley named Kitty...obviously. He got to name this one also. Many of you know that Riley loves the movie Sandlot, however is no longer allowed to watch it due to remembering way too many words from the movie. So when I asked Riley what he wanted to name the new kitten he first told me Wilson. Wilson? Where in the world did he get that? Anyway I shot that one down and then he said, "Benny...Benny the Jet". I am not at all shocked by this because Riley often refers to himself as Benny the Jet. So anyway, here we are with Kitty who lost her babies and has now adopted Benny. It's just too bad he didn't arrive a few days earlier so Kitty's milk wouldn't have dried up so I wouldn't have to bottle feed it 4 times a day! Oh well, the Hampton really enjoyed having an extra employee today. :) Plus, this little Benny is healing Kitty...and me after a long 2 days of dying kittens and ending with Kitty hiding the last dead kitten in the house....Sigh. Don't worry, we did find it b/c I was NOT going to bed without finding that kitten! Kittens, much like 3 year olds are ROUGH!

2 comments:

Chelsea Corwin said...

Riley may think of the Sandlot, but every time I read it I think of Elton John. Benny, Benny and the Jetssssssssss.. :)

Micah said...

Caleb's insights never cease to amaze me...